2019-2020 Committee & Community of Practice Appointments

    View and Download PDF Here

    IRWA Governance Task Force Minutes August 28, 2019

    IRWA Governance Task Force Minutes August 28, 2019

    by Carrol McCracken

    1. Welcome and Call to Order: Meeting was called to Order at 9:04 a.m., PST by President Elect, Sharon Slauenwhite.
    2. Roll Call: There was a roll call of all members at the meeting. They included: Region 1 Representative Ray Mehler, Region 1 Secretary/Treasurer

    Region 2 Representative Kim Hiebert, International Director 2-year, Chapter 36 Region 3 Representative Carrol McCracken, Region 3 Secretary/Treasurer Region 4, Representative Ross Greene, President Chapter 52

    Region 5 Representative Pat Petitto, Past Int. Pres. & Advisory Council Region 6 Representative Matt Harris, Region 6 Vice-Chair

    Region 7 Representative David Whitlock, Chapter 45, PDC Chair Region 8 Representative James Hardy, Region 8 Vice-Chair

    Region 9 Representative, Lee Hamre, Past Int. Pres. & Advisory Council Region 10 Representative, Jenna Wood, Region 10 Chair

    International Executive Committee/International Staff:

    Sharon Slauenwhite, IEC President-Elect, IEC Liaison/Chair James Olschewski, IEC Treasurer

    Daniel Stekol, IRWA Interim CEO

    1. Agenda: Agenda had been emailed out yesterday by Sharon and there were no corrections.
    2. Approval of Minutes: The minutes of the August 14, 2019, meeting were emailed out yesterday by Sharon. There were two small corrections pointed out by James O., and Carrol emailed the corrected minutes out this morning prior to our call. There was a motion to approve the amended minutes by David, seconded by Lee. Motion carried. Sharon will post them on the Member Network along with the agenda after the meeting.
    3. Feedback from Regions:

    Sharon went through a roll call for each Region since it has been two weeks since our last call and there has been some communications with the Regions:

    Region 1, Ray – Nothing new

    Region 2, Kim – Nothing new besides the survey results from their individual Region survey have been forwarded on to James H. for inclusion with our report

    Region 3, Carrol – Nothing new

    Region 4, Ross – Nothing additional to report

    Region 5, Pat – Nothing new

    Region 6, Matt – Nothing new

    Region 7, David – Nothing new, except for one email exchange on the Member Network Region 8, James H. – Not on the call at this point.

     

       Region 9, Lee – She didn’t have a lot of time to review the many comments in the minutes from the last meeting. She did mention the bylaw amendment proposed giving existing past presidents a lifetime vote on the Advisory Council and new Past Presidents getting a 5-year term for voting. It was acceptable to her as a fair compromise and thought it would be acceptable to Region 9.

    Region 10, Jenna – Not on the call at this point.

    1. Other Communications: No other communications
    2. Discussion Topics:

    Regions Spring Forum Summary Report

    James has received information from all of the Regions, and it is now all in a single document. He is working on pulling out some highlights and revising some charts. He is nearly complete, but not quite.

    Member Survey

    Ray said the response level has been great with over 1,000 responses, and on the way to receive about a 12% for a response rate. It should be a good representation of opinions from the majority of our members.

    Sharon discussed closing the survey today so IRWA HQ has time to generate the results this week so she and Ray can review the information since it is a significant amount of data and so we can have it for our call next week. It was mentioned there was a handful of members in Region 5 did not receive the survey, but their information received by email, not Survey Monkey, will still be included. Daniel agreed HQ can shut it down today and try to get some work schedules rearranged to get the information sent on or before Friday if this is the decision of the group.

    There was a motion to close the survey today to allow HQ to generate and transmit the results to Ray and Sharon by or prior to Friday by Sharon. There was a second by Ray. The motion carried.

    Sharon asked how the group felt the communication process worked?

    − Pleased it went well, especially with it being summer and vacation time.

    − Had a couple questions from Regions 2 and 5

    − A few members didn’t receive the survey question, one had it go into their SPAM filter − Sharon’s Chapter President included the two previous sets of GTF minutes with the

    survey so their Chapter would be more informed.

     

      Task Force Report - Section 3 – Future Recommendations: Competency-Based Leadership Discussion:

    We have the following questions from our previous report discussion:

    #6. What competencies do we believe our leaders need to have, along with the skill sets? #7. How do we coach, teach, train to encourage and buld those skills in our leaders?

    #8. Do we believe our international directors adequately understand their role and

    responsibilities?

    #9. Are they engaged throughout the year, and do they come to the BOD meeting informed

    and well prepared?

    #10 How do we create a ladder for leadership that will address all levels of governance

    (member leader/chapter leader/region leader/international leader)?

    We had a document prepared that will be attached which was compiled from our previous discussions and commentary in our June meeting in Portland including key competencies we agreed upon.

    Competency-Based Leadership

    Thoughts, feedback, and discussion on basic education for leaders, some being new member leaders:

    − Well captured thoughts in the document with no changes necessary

    − We would want modules developed for the training

    − New members would have to be familiarized with our basic governing documents, the association structure, committee and COP structures, election procedures, staff and headquarters organization along with basic training. The documents would have to be living documents requiring regular updates.

    − There was a question if this training is a requirement or could be optional? There were varying opinions.

    − This training could be an activity at Region forums. Region 1 has had some success doing this as a leadership initiative at their Fall Forums.

    − Could tie this into a lower cost canned program which provides meaningful value along with giving value to an employer/employee

    − Used to have the Leadership Institute present at some past forums. Good for all leaders to have access to modules on their own, but also nice to have them presented by the Region Chairs at the Forums.

    Ongoing Training for Established Leaders

    Thoughts and discussion:

    Chapter Level/Chapter Executive Level:

    − Training is at a new level, with learning to influence others.

    − New ways to recognize volunteers

    − Need structured training

    − Work with headquarters to provide place for training materials

    − Must have some budgeted training

    − Succession planning is important

    − Round table discussions on lessons learned can be beneficial for incoming leaders

    − A calendar with dates and deadlines would be useful.

    − It is helpful for Chapters to review their projects regularly

    − What do we have for existing resources and where they are to identify gaps?

    o Must have an easy way to access in one place

    o They must be consistent

    o Field staff can be helpful with transitions and information o May not currently have one repository

    − Training items and resources components can be found on the website, broken out similar to what we have here. Not sure if it is complete.

    o In spring outgoing president should meet with the incoming president and go over the checklist of duties. This hasn’t been done consistently and failure to do so causes breakdowns at Chapters. Some presidents may have also disregarded them.

    o Should it be made as a mandatory task through a webinar to create a failsafe? Mandatory has not been received well in the past. At a minimum it should be highly recommended.

    o This could be a task we could ask Region Chairs to follow up with their Chapter Presidents for this training.

    − Past videos are missing that had some leadership information and tips.

    − Region 1 has mandatory training for leadership at their spring forum

    − Support Region leader accountability

    − It must be reinforced regularly rather than just doing the education once.

    International and Region Leaders including Committees and COP’s

    − There was a discussion on International budgeting funds for this training

    − Investment is important, but numbers are hard to determine at this time. Members

    and the organization could both fund part of it.

    − Hard to put a number to it, but we need to make investments in our leaders to meet

    our goals.

    − Investment in a training program is important

    Senior Leaders:

    − Formalizing this training for mentors and mentees is critical to transfer leadership

    qualities and how they approach and work in the positions

    − Having past leaders train new leaders does two things, it helps them see how both

    the mentor and mentee think, helps them think on their own and makes them better prepared to do a good job. We need to figure out how to do something that doesn’t exist to move forward with the uniform training for the organization at all levels.

    − Consistency is a keyword. Some chapters have Past Presidents with roles in their Chapters, others do not. People work better with past leader assistance.

    − Should there be a fee for the members, or could IGC find a way to budget for the

    training:

    o Paying out of their own pockets can discourage volunteers

    o Should it provide CEU’s for attendees?

    o One comment was: Leadership volunteers pay in one form or another by

    going to meetings, forums, conferences, etc. Gets the idea of skin in the game, but maybe there is a way to incorporate fees into the cost of the meeting? Doesn’t agree with a pay to play concept. This would again help with consistent training and a consistent communications model.

    o Consistent manner and training like Mind Gym where you would know the cost per person

    o Some like the idea of incorporating the cost of the training into an event, whether it is at a Chapter or Region level

    o Suggested training at Region meetings

    o It was pointed out that when a Chapter has had presentations where there

    was a payment required, turnout was good. People see a presentation has more value when there is a cost versus free training.

    How to Find Volunteers:

    − Can there be a volunteer Bank so we don’t always end up going back to the same

    leaders for assistance?

    o This could be done with an online resume form with consistent fields for

    completion with work experience, competencies, etc. for any level of

    leadership

    o Could also be a place for the IEC and the Education Foundation to review

    scholarship recipients

    o Group felt pursuing this type of resource would be wise for the Association o Some of this could already be in place with the COP and Committee

    databases

    o Could there be a way to place some additional fields in the member list

    database on the IRWA website? Maybe there could also have a way to

    upload a resume.

    o It was mentioned a member must fulfill their responsibilities and not just

    take the seat Existing Leadership Materials:

    − − −

    There must be a review that will determine if we can keep some of what existed and update out of date information.

    One GTF member told of how their Chapter viewed the video on “How the IRWA Works”, and it is good to review occasionally.

    Another suggested Chapter and Region leaders should watch past training videos during their meetings for training.

    Building and Improving Effective Communication Skills:

    − A need was expressed to continue communicating messages 3 times with 3 different methods.

    1. Previous Meeting:

    The question was asked if anything needed to be added to the discussion on competency-based leadership to be taken to the IGC?

    − James O. mentioned he liked the direction we were going and said there is a line item for this type of training in the IGC/IEC budget which we will leave there. It will just depend on the financial amounts. Sharon added there would need to be a discussion with staff on what is feasible.

    1. For Next Meeting:
    2. The draft document will be placed on Box
    3. Next meeting will be working on filling in any gaps in the report
    4. If anyone has any questions or comments, please email them to Sharon.

    10.Next meeting: Video Conference Call on September 4, 2019 (9:00-10:30 PST).

    11.Adjournment: The meeting adjourned at 10:20 a.m., PST

     

     

    Sponsors